“Authentic Leadership,” a newly coined but widely accepted concept, is a modern and inclusive leadership style. Investing time and effort into becoming a genuine leader can be highly beneficial for individuals looking to progress their careers and leave a lasting impression on their organization. But what is authentic leadership, and why is it worthwhile to pursue? Continue reading to find out.
What Is Authentic Leadership?
Authentic leadership is a management style characterized by those who are sincere, self-aware, and transparent. Authentic leaders put their complete self to work and contribute fully and honestly in all aspects of the organization.
According to recent studies, the single most important predictor of employee job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and workplace happiness is authentic leadership. In the workplace, poor management can lead to a slew of issues. Authentic leadership has a lot of advantages for both your team and your company. Employees who work for companies that foster authentic leadership are more likely to be engaged, enthusiastic, and motivated.
The Characteristics of an Authentic Leader
Authentic leaders develop strong and honest relationships with their teams by exhibiting these common traits.
- Self-awareness. Authentic leaders are conscious of their emotions and are committed to learning about themselves as individuals and how they and others see the world.
- Emotional intelligence. Good leaders can control their own emotions while simultaneously understanding and empathizing with the feelings of others. They do not hesitate to express their feelings or vulnerability, and they typically find it easier to connect with their colleagues as a result.
- Mission-Focused. They can put the mission ahead of their self-interest to pursue results, rather than power, money, or ego.
- Perseverance. Authentic leaders understand that nurturing individuals and a company takes time, effort, and patience.
- Integrity. Leaders with high-level integrity promote accountability in their teams. When people trust a leader to be open-minded and transparent, they are more likely to engage in honest communication.
- Active listening skills. Even if someone disagrees with them, an authentic leader is willing to listen with an open mind and make adjustments when the arguments are convincing.
Tips for Becoming An Authentic Leader
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to establishing and managing your authenticity. There are, nevertheless, a few deliberate actions you can take to help build your authenticity, including:
- Practice self-reflection to understand your behavior and emotions better.
- Discover what motivates each employee/teammate.
- Inspire and empower those around you.
- Build and nurture a support team.
- Understand your personal values.
- Praise individuals and celebrate team accomplishments.
It is worthwhile to invest time in developing authenticity. If you want to lead, have influence, have an impact, you must be authentic. Authentic leadership is a lifelong journey and commitment, but you will notice improvements in your personal and professional development.
Emotional Intelligence Coaching for Managers and Executives
No matter where you are in your career, dedicating time to bettering yourself, increasing your emotional intelligence, and honing your leadership skills can lead to substantial returns for you, your team, and your company.
Are you ready to be an authentic leader? As an accredited member of the International Coach Federation, the Forbes Coaches Council, and more than 20 years of professional experience, Georganne Ford has helped hundreds of individuals, entrepreneurs, executives, and organizations reach their fullest potential. Whether you are a business owner, a leader, or aspire to be one, Georganne can assist you in gaining new insights, professional skills, and prioritization management to help you reach your goals.
Complete our contact form, and a By George Coaching & Consulting team member will connect with you to schedule a call.